Tuesday, August 26, 2014

J. Brown + Draztic = S - Team

It’s another dreary morning in New York; I’m sitting in the office bored beyond belief sorting through the pile of new music on my desk, when I get a text.

“Yo!”
 
A simple soliloquy but one that always makes me smile! It’s from FOB (friend of the blog) Chan; I sit up in anticipation of the conversation and what’s to occur, I am hoping for a mixtape update instead I get another jewel. One of the former powerhouse groups of the now defunct, Psylent Entertainment Street Symphony has released an EP and we are the first to get our hands on it.  

Peep more under the cut! 



Street Symphony a’la Double S a’la S – Team was one of the first groups to define Psylent Entertainment and take the label to entirely new heights; their savvy street image coupled with clever punches and heartfelt life songs made this group one to watch for, however tension amongst the group and what Chan calls, “growth,” led the pair to take a hiatus from one another to releases solo projects, and explore other opportunities.

The wait was more than worth it! Montrel “Draztic” Woodhouse and Gary “Junior Brown/J.Brown” Gibson are now back with a smooth EP entitled, “Work Smart not Hard,” which not only proves the hiatus was necessary but also pivotal in the start of their new chapter. If fans are expecting a new exciting reinvention – look elsewhere but if you’re expecting the same lyrical suaveness and hip hop appeal that propelled their success many moons ago then you are in a for a treat. Draztic is still a spitfire metaphoric genius and J.Brown is still the closest thing to Common and Andre 3k this generation may ever see. But that’s my biased opinion.

While I would have loved a longer premier, this teaser is just enough to leave the listener pondering the timeless question, “what’s next?” The EP opens with “Write Inn,” one of my favorite tracks seems to have been remixed with a different beat but still a creative concept nonetheless. I remember hearing this track a month or two ago when Chan sent it to me and I thought Kajmir Royale initially produced it, although I could be wrong. Either way S – Team does an excellent job riding the beat produced by B. Frank in a clever metaphorically driven track about writing or a hotel stay depending on who you ask.  “Where you are, Change, and Out of my Mind,” are clearly moments of growth for the artists as a whole however clear stand out tracks for me “N.W.O,” and “Breakfast” are the bangers for me.

Check out the mixtape here!

You won't be disappointed.

Thanks Chan for the tip – and send us that new mixtape your fans are waiting! 

- D. Lyles

D. Lyles is a freelance writer in New York for various blogs including XXL, VIBE, and now Spilled Ink.  She’s been featured on 106 & Park; Rap City, and MTV.

No comments:

Post a Comment