Sunday, November 10, 2013

@xiamchanx Spilled Ink ***EXCLUSIVE*** An Afternoon with Chan








It’s Saturday afternoon, I was headed to score an exclusive interview with RZA of Wu-Tang after 3 subway trips, a bus, and a swift run to the office I missed RZA by 20 minutes. However I lucked up on one of the industry’s unknown gems and one of my favorite underground female lyricists Chan.  
 
Sitting in an expansive conference room in Legend’s Studios New York offices waiting for an intern to deliver a cheese omelet and a large orange juice from the bodega up the block is a woman just shy of 5 feet dressed in a t-shirt and sweats, diligently writing in a notebook while Universal Music Group A&R play her beats for what could be a new mixtape; as a fan I am both excited and anxious to talk to quiet mystery known as Chan.


“I don’t know what to expect, honestly, I always fuck things up. Story of my life. How are you a fan of mine?” 


And that is how the interview began…


You are one of the hardest females to grace the mic; I am in awe right now watching you choose beats, how do you pick which beats you are going to use? It’s almost like you are intentionally picking the hardest beats in the pack.


C:  For me this is a crucial point in my career,  I am in a male dominated field alone, no crew, no big team backing me, just me so I have to do everything better than everyone else. Even if it’s just in my head I have to convince myself I am better than your favorite rappers favorite rapper.


Is it safe to assume you are working on a mixtape now? And how difficult is it with no crew or male counterpart to promote you?


C: To be honest, I am scared shitless. When you have a crew you can look to the left and get a nod even when things are at their worse. Without that you have to depend on your inner self and hope that in the end it works out. Right now I am going with my gut feeling and hoping it pans out.


Do you think having that thought process will help you succeed or hinder you in the end?


C: I think a little of both, the fear keeps me on my toes.


Tell me about your writing process.



C: I still hand write my music,  it may start off as poem or just a couple of lines that I have jotted down in my cell but eventually it all ends up on paper. When I write it’s usually out of emotion so when I go back in those books, back into those pages I can relive what I was feeling at that moment.  Every once in a blue I’ll hear a beat though and it consumes me almost instantly when that happens, I can usually walk in the booth and go off top right then and there.


You have incredible volume for a female rapper. A lot of women struggle with breath control or trying to sound too hard, your music just flows.


C: Is that the question? Oh…well I am typically laid back.  I have my moments, during 6 foot 7 I almost passed out.


Working on your mixtape do you feel pressure to not necessarily compete with but keep up with the Nicki Minaj’s, the Iggy Azealia’s, the Angel Hazes, or even the Azealia Banks?


C: I am my only competition.


Ok. Fair enough. People talk about the difference in being a rapper and a rock star, specifically with women, what does that mean in terms of representing your sexuality in your career: like by identifying as a rock star, you don't have to compromise how you dress or what you rap about. Where are you at with that distinction? Do you want to be a rock star and not a rapper?  




C: That’s a loaded question, wow. I (pauses and taps her finger on her iPod) ; I think as an artist I know exactly where I want to be and if that means I don’t belong in either world (rapper or rock star) then I will build a bridge and get over it. I think in all aspects of business there’s always a gap and in that gap you can always build a bridge and link the two. So at this point, I am open to make my imprint but if I have to build a bridge I got my hammer ready.


So are you worried that labels won’t see you for you and that it will be a constant battle?


C: (Laughs) Hell yeah, right now I am still telling people look ,”I aint doing this or that.” The first thing labels say is (gestures finger quotes) we don’t want to change who you are. Then they walk in and say some shit like hey we got this tutu here put this on with these 10 inch heels. It will work trust us.


So you have to stand your ground constantly?


C: Yes, which is probably why I don’t have a deal yet. I don't want to conform. I just want to be me.


When can we expect your mixtape?


C: January


Fast forward you’ve signed a deal, five years from now who do you want to work with and what do you plan to have accomplished in that time?


C: I’d like to work with Missy, they just played me a new track she did called G-Dragon whoooo that shits bananas. In 5 years I’d like to put out 3 albums and back away nicely into artist development.


Speaking of Missy, she did exactly what you were speaking about earlier. She came up alone and not in a crew of male rappers is that something you find yourself explicitly avoiding?


C: Right now, yes.  I don’t want to be in a boys club. I am good doing me.


But you never had to have that moment, or have you had that moment, where a dude was like, Chan is the shit. I feel like no one else has avoided that, honestly. Think about it. Iggy Azalea had T.I. Azealia Banks had a lot of cosigns including Kanye, Nicki had Lil Wayne and Drake.


C: Right, and with my mixtape there may come some cosigns but is that something I am looking for no? How did I manage to avoid it, honestly I have no idea. I think it may have avoided me. A couple of months ago I would have probably jumped at the opportunity and to be honest I have been approached by several high profile rappers since I have been in New York saying we should do this that and the third, but right now it’s just not the direction I am looking to go.  


Would one of those artists be Wale?


C: (laughs) I can’t comment on that right now.


Aaah okay, well one last question what’s the best advice you have received to date?


C: I think that would be from a really good friend and stylist check her out on twitter  and Instagram too HairByPhatara (shameless plug – I know) but she told me… Don’t chase my dreams, live them. Plan and Execute.  Probably the best advice I have gotten.


I can’t thank you enough for sitting down with me. I feel like I just lucked up on something really special. Keep in touch and we wish you the best of luck!


C: Thank you, for granting me the opportunity. God Bless.

39 comments:

  1. Glad to see you guys back, nice little write up. I followed her on twitter a long time ago. She tweets some real shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She dope as shit but she got competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back. Whats the name of her mixtape? Ya'll should do a listening party

    ReplyDelete
  4. #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan #TeamChan I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see this here!
    One nitpicky thing: what is the name of the mixtape?? I really want to look for it but I don't know the name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry everyone the mixtape is tentatively titled "Six2Nine"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh this is SO freakin' awesome, thank you Spilled Ink!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an impressive person. i'm intrigued

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danny more interviews with female rappers/female musicians in general! this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love her completely my girl crush!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yo she is big out here in Vegas, I like the way she said she is her only competition she be killin them freestyles and her beats is beastin. I can't wait for her new music true fan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What I like about her is she speak on substance, its a lot of bitches rappin that only talk about how good they are or how they fuck she got some heaters I got an old mixtape from years ago with her on it speakin some real shit about the president. We need that shit. I fucks with her the long way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I respect any artist who steps out of the box, and does something unexpected. This is a young artist who is using all of her resources.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ummm no. I like chan but she got competition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bravo, Chan. Just listened to "6 Foot 7" and it doesn't get any more real or raw than that. Kudos to you for speaking your truth and getting yourself to such a promising place.
    I look forward to hearing more from you as your career unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Complete honesty* is a rare feat in any form. I hope her career gives* her some peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fuck you Chan I'll battle you anytime

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great article. First time I'm hearing of her, but now I'm definitely gonna tjeck her mix-tapes and keep an eye out for her future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope she brings more value to this stupid hip hop crowd. If not we'll be looking at her like Nicki thinking how does she bring any value to the world?

    ReplyDelete
  20. To the person above me! Did you even read the interview before you made your comment? Better yet, have you even listened to any of her music before you made that comment? Her story alone brings more value, experience, testimony & truth than you allow yourself to recognize and or even comprehend. Then again, your comment gives the impression that you don't even listen to hip hop just recite sound bytes of those who judge the art form as negative & make you believe in the stereotype & generalization of the culture itself. And no, listening to & liking "Bust a Move", "Funky Cold Medina" "Gettin Jiggy With It" "Paul Revere" or "This Is How We Do It" does not mean you understand the culture therefore all hip hop should sound like that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Say what you wanna say she can't be fucked with. That's 6 foot 7 go so fuckin hard in Vegas mang

    ReplyDelete
  22. What makes her different is she produce too, I have seen her on the akai or on some turntables killin it how many females doin that shit right now? Come on give credit where credit due.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The only thing I think she really has to worry about is consistency

    ReplyDelete
  24. Most women are gimmicks, I just want to see how long she can last staying true to herself.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Personally I like her. Does she live in NY now? I have two mixtapes with her on it. One with all these female MC's and another called Broken Psylence or something I think she is dope

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like her style and flow is sick *sits* I'm here for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like her attitude.... she seems laid back and chill....

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like her style, she is really cool she wears some of the dopest t-shirts I have ever seen. She used to come into my job a lot in Atlanta and order pasta all the time the studio was right up the street. She was always in our restaurant ordering pasta

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like that she can just put a hoodie on and spit fire. I really don't give a fuck about how sexy you are when I am trying to ride to your music.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have heard a few tracks, I am definitely waiting to hear what else she brings.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lyrical beast, proud of my little big sis for his article. Nice write up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Pure talent. Real talk. I like her attitude too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I remember hearing about her a few years ago but at the time she was more into pushing other artist, I am pretty interested to see whats happening with her and the rap side, the game is missing something with women. I mean we have a range when it comes to men. We have anything from Lil Wayne, to Drake, to Common but with the women its not so much of a range so I am waiting for that one female to come in and really bridge the gap as she said.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This was raw and beautiful, we have had words on twitter. But I am rooting for her.

    ReplyDelete
  35. She aint fuckin with Nicki. We will see.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You crazy she is surpassing Nicki you must never heard that 6 foot 7 free

    ReplyDelete